When you are running a bed and breakfast, you want everything in the home to run smoothly. That is easy when everything in your home is doing what it is supposed to do. But what can you do to keep costs down and guests happy when it is the middle of summer and your air conditioning is giving you trouble? Yes, you can grab the phone and call your handy air conditioning repair service company. But before you do that, here are a few things you might want to try, just to eliminate the obvious.
When the Air Conditioner Stops Working
If you find that the central unit has stopped working entirely, there are a few simple troubleshooting things you can do before you call your serviceman. These might help you pinpoint the problem with a minimum of trouble:
- Check for tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses
- Check that the furnace power and outdoor condenser’s switches are on
- Replace the batteries on the thermostat
If the AC Isn’t Cooling Enough
Sometimes it is not that your air conditioning isn’t working but that your guests tell you the AC is not cooling sufficiently. If you are lucky, you may discover that this is caused by simple things that you can fix right then and there. Here are a few items to check first before reaching for that phone.
- Clean the filter on the air conditioning unit
- Check for ice on the AC coils in the back of the unit
- Check to see if the condensate drain is plugged
- Check the compressor to ensure it is working and to clean it if it needs it
These two situations can crop up from time to time in any well run bed and breakfast but they don’t have to mean you have to lose clients over them. Rather than wait for the air conditioning repair service to arrive, always do a quick check with these seven items in case you can resolve the problem quickly and without the extra cost of a service visit.